So disturbingly deliciously good! One kiddo loved them and asked for more; one kept trying to convince me (and herself) that she liked them.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat waffle iron until very hot.
- Whisk 1.75 cups flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp kosher salt in a large bowl.
- With an electric mixer, beat 3 large egg whites in a medium bowl until medium soft peaks form.
- Whisk 3 large egg yolks, 1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter, 1 cup buttermilk, and ¾ cup soda water in a medium bowl; gradually whisk into dry ingredients. Fold in egg whites.
- Coat waffle iron with non-stick vegetable oil spray. Pour batter onto iron, spreading it into corners (amount of batter needed will vary according to machine). Scatter 1 Tbsp thin strips of shaved ham and 1 Tbsp of shredded sharp cheddar cheese over each waffle.
- Cook until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a baking sheet; keep waffles warm in oven between batches. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.
From Bon Appetit March 2012